Located in the village of Ergen in the Dersim province of Western Armenia , the Church of Ergan turned into ruins after the death of the last Armenian resident.
Judging by the inscriptions on the walls, the church was built in 975 by Prince Mkhitar in memory of the Virgin Mariam. The stones found in the interior of the church, built entirely of smooth stones, were designed using engraving. Khachkars, which are an integral part of most Armenian churches, are also engraved on the stones of this church.
During the Genocide of Armenian people 1915, the last priest of the church was burned inside the church. After that, the church was abandoned, first the roof and then the walls began to collapse.The treasure thieves also contributed to the destruction of the church.