The Church of St. Astvatsatsin in Areg is located in the Karin province of Western Armenia. The monastery has two names: The first one is “Getahayats”, it got this name because the Oror River flowed next to the church. The second name – “the Monastery of the Holy Astvatsatsin” is associated with the place of its construction: it is built on a hill. According to the legend, the monastery was founded by the Apostle Thaddeus. However, the Armenian Patriarchate of Constantinople presents a certificate to the Ottoman authorities that the monastery was founded in 1447. From several manuscripts copied in the monastery, it becomes clear that during the 16th and 18th centuries the monastery was an educational center and served as a cathedral. In 1898, the newspaper “The East” turned to this monastery, writing that the monastery was in bad conditions, the lands adjacent to it were owned by random people. There is also a mention of Bishop Trdat Palean in 1901. Mentioning this monastery, he notes with regret that he was unable to obtain reliable information about the current state of the monastery.