In 1877-80, as a result of the Russian-Turkish war, the city of Ardvin in Western Armenia was annexed to the Russian Empire and became part of the newly created Batumi region. Before the Genocide of Armenians, the city was mostly inhabited by Armenians. In addition, 11 Armenian churches were built there. In 1914, at the beginning of the First World War, Turkey seized most of the regions of Batumi and Kars, after which, under the pretext of war, it organized the massacre of Armenians in Ardvin, Ardahan, Ardanush, and other occupied territories. Ardvin was captured by Turkish troops on March 3, 1918, after the signing of the Brest-Litovsk Treaty between the Bolshevik Central Powers (Germany, Austria-Hungary, Bulgaria, and the Ottoman Empire). 

The city remained under Turkish control for a very short time, until the Democratic Republic of Georgia took control of it in late March 1918. After the Sovietization of Georgia and the subsequent occupation of some of its territories by Turkish troops under the command of Musa Kazim Karabekir, Ardvin was again handed over to Turkey. The Moscow and Kars Treaties signed in 1921 between Bolshevik Russia and Turkey further secured the transfer of this territory to Turkey. We want to remind you that on March 16, 1921, in Moscow, Russia and Turkey signed the “treaty of friendship and brotherhood”, according to which the current Armenian-Turkish border was drawn against the will of Armenia.