Aznvadzor province is located in the Akhdznik province of Greater Armenia. In the 9th century, the king of Vaspurakan Gagik Artsruni liberated Aznvadzor from Arab conquerors. Ottoman Turkey captured the province in the 1st half of the 14th century. Until the 1st half of the XIX century, it was part of the Bagesh. From 1878, it became a village group in the Karchkan province of Bitlis and then became an independent province. In 1895 there were about 3 thousand Armenians. The inhabitants were engaged in agriculture, cattle breeding, and fishing. As a result of the Hamidian massacres of 1895-96, Aznvadzor was partially depopulated (Yeretsagh, Znner, Sarnus, etc.), and during the 1915 Genocide of Armenians, it was completely depopulated. The survivors found refuge in Eastern Armenia.