The city of Kharberd in Western Armenia was located in the province of Kharberd of the same name, on the left bank of the Aratsani River. The toponym “Kharberd” was etymologized as a modification of the name consisting of the words stone and fortress. The ancient tombs excavated in Kharberd date back to the  XX-XVIII centuries. The Kharberd fortress was founded by the Urartians in the XVIII centuries. In the late XIX-early XX centuries, the Turkish tribes destroyed the fortress of Kharberd. During the period of Turkish rule, the oppression of Armenians intensified. The situation became especially acute at the end of the XVI century, when, due to the arbitrariness of the ruling elite, the violence of the Yenicherins and religious persecution, the productive forces were sharply destroyed. In search of a livelihood, a significant part of its population moved to the western borders of the empire. In 1617, Kharberd was destroyed. In the XVIII century, Kharberd and its surroundings were part of the vilayet of Sebastian. Then Kharberd became a crowded city again, mainly due to the Armenians of neighboring provinces. The population of Kharberd was engaged in crafts, agriculture, and trade. Kharberd was an outstanding center of Armenian culture. In July 1915, the mass extermination of Armenians began. The survivors of the genocide settled in different countries. Some of the survivors settled in Soviet Armenia.