Founded in Cairo in 1828, the Galustyan National School was a coeducational institution. Initially, it was called the Yeghiazaryan School in honor of its founder-benefactor. It was the first private Armenian school in the city, authorized to open “thanks to the influential position of the Armenian community in Egypt at the Egyptian court”. It functioned as an elementary school. The main subject was religion, but arithmetic, Armenian and Arabic were also taught.
In 1854 it moved to the building of the Khorenyan National School (named after Movses Khorenatsi), built with the funds of Karapet Galust, and from 1897 it was called the Galustyan National School.
The institution has kindergarten, primary and higher pre-school departments and a library. Students study Armenian language and literature, Armenian history, arithmetic, Arabic and many other subjects. In 1996, the school had 45 students and 16 teachers. Among the school’s graduates are Vahan Tekeyan, Garzu, Gohar Gasparyan and others.