Amaras Monastery is located in the village of Sos in the Martuni district of Artsakh (historical Artsakh region). According to historian Pavstos Buzand, the first church of the monastery was built by Grigor Lusavorich at the beginning of the 4th century. The construction of the church was completed during the reign of his grandson, Bishop Grigoris. He was martyred in 338 while spreading Christianity in Aghvank and was buried in Amaras.
At the beginning of the 5th century, Mesrop Mashtots opened the first Armenian school in Amaras, which laid the foundation for the spread of Armenian bibliography. Since then, Amaras has become one of the largest religious and cultural centers in Armenia.
The monastery of Amaras was plundered and destroyed several times during the Arab and Mongol conquests, especially during the invasion of the Mongol-Tatar hordes led by Lenk-Temur (1387).
When Eastern Armenia was annexed by Russia, Amaras served as a fortress with a fairly strong defense system. In the 18th century, Shahnazar II, the Melik of Varanda, in order to make the monastery on the plain impenetrable, built around it rather high walls without any openings.
Amaras, as well as a number of other historical monuments, suffered from targeted bombing by the Azerbaijani side during the Artsakh wars. When the monastery came under the control of Azerbaijani troops, the tomb of St. Grigory was destroyed. After that, Amaras returned to the Armenian Apostolic Church. At that time, the restoration of the monastery began.