Nngi is one of the oldest settlements of Artsakh. Till the beginning of XVI century there were 12 small settlements in the present territory: Yegtse land, Byarguzan, Artsaghbyur, Kolatak, Shenirazh, Okhn spring, Elaju chuur, Mknaker, Tanak spring, Gomer valley, Tablyas house and Nig shen. Later these settlements were united for defense purposes and formed a single village called Nngi.

In this village was born Bogdan Knunyants, whose statue still stands in the central part of the village.

Nngi is also known as one of the old pottery centers. The Brutanots are located not far from the village cemetery, in an orchard, near a clay mine.

In the valley of Nngi there are carved stones, inscriptions, khachkars, stone rams, torn and rolled from the walls of churches, fortresses and dwellings.

The reconstructed or newly built villages here bore the names of Nngi, Zamyat, Nngidjan, Mknakert.

The cemetery with a large number of sculptures and epitaphs is preserved in the ancient site of Saint Ojakh. Another station is located in the area “Ilaja water” of Tsarekh Mountain. Ancient cemeteries have also been noticed near Chentamikhachi, Yersakhpyur and Mknakert.

The church of St. Astvatsatsin is located in the center of the village of Nngi. According to the construction records the church was built in 1858, but the ancient monuments preserved on the site testify that the church was built on the previous one.

Now the church of St. Lusavorich is in ruins near the mountain Tsarekh. The khachkar of the year 1250 OHD draws much attention to these ruins.

Many monuments of industrial character are located in Nngi. In the history of Artsakh, the Nngijani mill is remembered on an important occasion. According to eyewitnesses and printed sources, an underground printing house operated here.