US Senators Alex Padilla and Marco Rubio, with the support of a wide range of US civil society coalition partners, came together on Thursday to introduce a resolution to fight the blockade.
The resolution states the following:
1. The resolution encourages the United States government and the international community to petition the United Nations Security Council, the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe, and other relevant international organizations to investigate all war crimes committed by Azerbaijani forces against Armenian civilians.
2. Calls for the deployment of international observers along the Berdzor road and Artsakh to examine the possibilities for more effective and sustainable guarantees of security and peaceful development.
3. Calls on the President of the United States to immediately terminate any new, existing or anticipated US military or security assistance to the Baku authorities and to fully implement Section 907 of the Freedom Support Act. and to fully implement Section 907 of the Freedom Support Act.
4. Supports U.S. sanctions under existing legislative authority against the Baku authorities responsible for the blockade of Artsakh and other human rights violations against Armenians in the region, including the targeting of civilian infrastructure and the destruction of historical and cultural sites and places of worship of great importance to Armenians.
5. The United States supports efforts by the European Union and the international community to provide humanitarian assistance to the victims of Baku’s aggression in Artsakh.
The government of Western Armenia expresses its appreciation for the interest shown by American senators in Artsakh. It is true that the senators personally involved the US government and international organizations in the process of imposing the most severe sanctions against the policy of genocide and violation of the rights of Artsakh and its people by the Baku authorities