Today is November 9, the 3rd anniversary of the 44-day war of 2020.
This day is marked in black in the Armenian calendar. As a result of the tripartite agreement signed on this day three years ago, most of Artsakh remained in the hands of the enemy, and today Artsakh, the historical cradle of Armenians, is completely lost and depopulated.
Western Armenian television highlighted several historical incidents that once again prove that Baku has been trying to eliminate Armenians from Artsakh for decades.
In 1971, by decree of Heydar Aliyev, the demolition of the historic district of the city of Shushi began. More than 7,000 Armenian historical architectural monuments were demolished, including Kusants Monastery, Meghretsots Church, Aguletsots Church, St. Gevorg Church, etc.
Destroyed in 1920, the rich Armenian town of Shushi remained a ghost town almost throughout the Soviet period. In 1960, more than 90% of Chouchi’s housing stock was deserted and in ruins. Of the 40,000 Armenian inhabitants of the city (in 1920), only 2,000 remained until 1960. Aliyev turned to Khrushchev with a request to allocate money from Moscow to the ” restoration of the city of Shushi”. Moscow allocated money.
But instead of rebuilding the city, Aliyev drove hundreds of cranes, bulldozers and other equipment here and began dismantling historic buildings of historical and architectural value that could still be restored.
The historic Armenian quarters of the city of Shushi, which occupied 2/3 of the territory of the entire city, the fortress, were demolished and gray “Khrushchevkas” (5-story apartment buildings) were built in their place , for which Azerbaijanis from other regions of the Azerbaijan SSR were brought here. This was a deliberate policy aimed at destroying the historic Armenianness of this city. But despite these actions, until 1991, Aliyev managed to settle no more than 10,000 Azerbaijanis in the city of Shushi, which is 4 times less than the number of Armenians who lived in this city, before the Shushi pogroms in 1920 .
As before, until May 9, 1992, when the Artsakh Defense Army liberated this city, 80% of the city was deserted.
In 1840, Shushi received city status for the first time. Residents of a large number of Armenian villages located in the distant provinces of Artsakh gathered together and began to live an urban life, building there beautiful private houses, schools, churches, printing houses, theaters, libraries and other public buildings.
At the end of the 19th century, Shushi was already the largest city not only in Artsakh, but also in all of Western Armenia. Shushi became the center of Armenian intellectuals and culture in Western and Eastern Armenia and rivaled Kars, Alexandropol, Yerevan, Nakhichevan and Gandzak. In terms of population, Shushi was inferior to only two cities in Transcaucasia: Tiflis and Baku. The city and its entire population were destroyed by the Turkish-Bolshevik army in 1920.