Shushi began to develop rapidly in the 1920s, and the Armenian intelligence began to concentrate in the city.
On December 1, 1827, the Swiss Evangelical preachers August Detricht and Felicia Chambeza opened the Shushi printing house, which was the third in Transcaucasia after Tbilissi (Tbilisi) and Etchmiadzin. Thus, Shushi came out of national stereotypes and became a cultural center of European significance. 171 books were published here, which testifies about the demand for printing in Shushi.
The printing house published the works of Esayi Hasan Jalalyan, Perch Proshyan, Yezyants, Terchimanyan, Manuk Abeghyan and others.
The fruitful operation of the printing house was interrupted in 1920 by the capture of Shushi by the troops of Musavat Azerbaijan. They robbed the printing house and set fire to the building.
During the Soviet era, the printing house was rebuilt by private individuals, and during the liberation of Shushi in 1992, the retreating Azeri army set fire to the building again according to typical barbaric style.