The Human Rights Defender of Armenia Arman Tatoyan says the competent state body of Armenia must publish the number of prisoners of the Armenian side who are currently being held captive in Azerbaijan. Tatoyan mentioned on his facebook page,
“The Armenian government officially announced yesterday through a statement that it did not publish the data on the number of captives of the Armenian side in Azerbaijan, and stated that the issue has a “super-sensitive nature.”
In fact, the publication of the number of captives of the Armenian side held by Azerbaijan will at least:
1) significantly increase international pressure on Azerbaijan to release and return the captives,
2) provide grounds for additional obligations of Azerbaijan,
3) increase the level of protection of prisoners held in Azerbaijan,
4) demonstrate publicly and emphasize the state’s respect for the rights of prisoners and their families,
5) publicly emphasize the state’s responsible attitude towards this issue of public importance,
6) the state will eliminate or otherwise significantly reduce efforts and any attempts by either side to manipulate and mislead the public with false information.
Therefore, the competent state body of the Republic of Armenia must publish the number of prisoners of the Armenian side who, according to the information at its disposal or in its belief, are currently being held captive in Azerbaijan”.