In 1921 the future Museum of Fine Arts was founded in a tufa building of a men’s gymnasium on Astafyan Street (now Abovyan Street) in Yerevan, which in 1947 was renamed the State Gallery of Armenia and since 1991 is called the National Gallery. It is the biggest museum in Armenia and today it has more than 40 000 pieces of Armenian, Russian and European art, it is the biggest museum in the world with a collection of Armenian fine art. The current building of the National Gallery was designed by famous architect Mark Grigoryan.
This year is the 100th anniversary of the founding of the National Gallery of Armenia, which will be marked with a number of events and programs. A yearbook of the National Gallery will be published, the first volume of which will be devoted to the history of the individual sections of the gallery.
According to Director of the National Gallery Marina Hakobyan, all the activities they held in this anniversary year have the following goal. “To maximally reveal the history of our monuments, our heritage, our wealth, to maximally present all the wealth of the museum.”