Babunk or Babonk village. Armenian Nakhichevan

  • by Western Armenia, June 28, 2024 in Patrimony
60 views

The Pan-Armenian Union “Gardman-Shirvan-Nakhijevan” referred to Babunk or Babonk village, which was located on the left bank of the Nakhijevan River. The historical village of Babunk was one of the largest villages of Shahapunk, and even today  are visible the traces that prove that is the largest one. . 

The large and old Armenian cemetery is located just outside the village, the ruins of a large church are also visible and part of the ruins of the houses of the village is located right at the head of the rock chain and look like    buildings of a castle.

The last Armenian families left this historical village in the 1980s.

Unfortunately, today there is no information   in written sources about the historical past of the village.

There are no exact data when  of  Church St. Astvatsatsin of the historical village was built, but studies have allowed us to conclude that it was founded at the end of the 12th century and turned into ruins in 1840-1845.

The church was managed to be repaired In 1872, and in 1990 the ruins of the church were still preserved. As a result of the excavations carried out in the 1960s and 1970s, a number of archaeological items from the Bronze Age were found on the territory of the village.The stone face sculpture, which has a round shape and on which the figure of a person is clearly visible, is remarkable.

The stone face sculpture, which has a round shape and on which the figure of a person is clearly visible, is remarkable.

The Babunk cemetery is located 700-800 m east of the village, the tombstones are flat or are  khachkars.

112 tombstones are dated, and with the presence of inscriptions, the number of tombstones reaches 31.

Tombstones and khachkars are knocked down to the ground, the inscriptions are also desecrated.