The Armenian Nakhichevan. Tshgna

  • by Western Armenia, July 03, 2024 in Patrimony

Tsghna village is located in Ordubadi region of Nakhichevan Autonomous Republic.

The Pan-Armenian Union “Gardman-Shirvan-Nakhijevan” presents details about this Armenian village.

17 houses stood out in Tsghna. There were multi-room residential houses with single floor and two-story constructions, among which is Soghomonents mansion, the immortal Komitas grandfathers.

The buildings were mainly made of semi-finished stones and bricks. Most of the Armenian houses are destroyed today. The fortress of Tsghna is located on the mountain top of the northwestern side of the village. The walls of the fort have turned into ruins.

The most famous is the Saint  Astvatsatsin Monastery of Tsghna, which was located in a flat place in the north-eastern district of Tsghna village. Currently, the Saint Astvatsatsin Monastery is destroyed. The monastery was built in the 12th-13th centuries. It was repaired several times.

In the middle of the 17th century, Movses and Philipos organized the renovation of the monuments of Goghtn  and Yernjak provinces, during which the Saint  Astvatsatsin Church was also renovated.

In one of the inscriptions is  mentioned that the church was renovated in 1683.

The monastery complex consisted of the Church of Saint Astvatsatsin, a bell tower, a wall, additional buildings and a cemetery.

The three-story bell tower was located in front of the southern entrance of the church.

It was built of hewn stones with a reddish hue.

The height of the dome was 3-4 meters higher than the roof of the church. On the southern facades of the two facades of the first floor of the bell tower, in the direction of the arches, in the rectangular and inwardly cylindrical niches, one high sculpture was carved: “The Crucifixion of Christ” and the standing statue of “The Mother of God”.